Whatever your reason for travelling abroad, you’re sure to want a trouble free trip. Many of the things that often go wrong for travellers can be prevented or made less stressful by taking a few simple precautions.
The FCO website (www.gov.uk/knowbeforeyougo) offers straightforward travel advice, top tips and up to date country information to help you plan your holiday.
- Make sure you have valid travel insurance, even if you’re only planning a short trip.
- Check what vaccinations you need by visiting www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk, your travel health clinic or GP at least 6 weeks before you travel
- Read up on your destination, local laws and customs. Check the FCO travel advice pages.
- Tell family and friends where you are going and leave them your contact details, insurance policy details and your itinerary and/or store them online using a secure date storage
- Make sure you have enough money to cover emergencies.
- If you are travelling within the European Economic Area, get a European Health Insurance Card for free or reduced emergency care - you still need full travel insurance though! Remember you can call 112 for emergency services in any EU country.
- Check your passport and visa requirements for the country you are visiting.
For more information, visit the FCO website: www.gov.uk/knowbeforeyougo